There are a number of fun holidays to celebrate as a senior, but Halloween can be one of the best. Many of us have fond memories of Halloween as a child, so the nostalgic aspect can be very healthy for seniors. Using Halloween for some holiday-themed activities is always fun. Whether you live at home, an assisted living community or with family, it can give everyone a chance to enjoy some spooky fun.
1. Decorate pumpkins: Many of us love to carve pumpkins. It is one of the best traditional crafts for Halloween time. If you’re not sure about handing all of your seniors sharp implements, you can paint the pumpkin. Either way, this is benefit as almost occupational therapy for many seniors.
2. Homemade pumpkin seeds: If you are considering carving pumpkins or find that process to difficult, scooping the inside and making home made pumpkin seeds is a great activity. Not to mention the health benefits of eating pumpkin seeds! The aroma of cooking and home made food has been proven to have positive impacts on the brain as well.
3. Make decorative spiderwebs: These are fun to put in your house, hang around the community or even give to family members.
4) Make spooky candles: Consider purchasing easy to make kits. These are a fun activity and great to get their apartment or home ready for the holiday.
5) Movie time! Grab some popcorn and watch your favorite scary movie.
6) Homemade costume contests can be a great way to put together a fun outfit. Let the creativity begin!
Don’t forget to prepare for Trick or Treaters as well!